Old Dock, Liverpool
Old Dock opened in 1715: it was the the world’s ﬁrst commercial enclosed wet dock and the catalyst for the growth of Liverpool into one of the world’s greatest international seaports. It was inﬁlled in 1820 but rediscovered in 2002 during archaeological evaluations in advance of the construction of Grosvenor’s Liverpool One retail development.
As a planning requirement, the buried quay walls of Old Dock were fully preserved in situ and a corner of the dock was excavated.
An underground visitor centre was created (see http://www.liverpoolmuseums.org.uk/maritime/visit/old_dock_tours.aspx)
and Old Dock was interpreted above ground with:
|Liverpool Heritage Impact|
|LWH Supplementary Planning|